Charles Wright was a resident of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. His business was one of banking 和 railroads, which brought him to Tacoma. He was part of the committee that ventured to the Pacific Northwest in 1872 to determine the final destination for the Northern Pacific Railroad. He later became president of Tacoma L和 Company 和 spokesman for "the City of Destiny" that was Tacoma.
In 1881, Wright wrote to Bishop Paddock 和 asked him how he could further support Tacoma. 帕多克回答说，这个小镇大约有1个,000 people needed a church 和 a school which would "make possible Christian education for the rising generation of daughters of the pioneers." Wright agreed 和 outlined his vision for the school:
“The school will provide education for the rising generation of daughters of the pioneers, children who will lay a firm foundation for the great state that is to be, 一个要求他们仁慈的国家, not callous hearts; joyous, not pampered spirits; broad, not petty minds; refined, not tawdry tastes; direct, not shifting speech – women who will meet wealth with simplicity, 有尊严的贫穷, 和 face life with quiet strength – developing from strength to strength; contributing to the righteous up-building of this great country.”
The original location of the new seminary was established near Wright Park in Tacoma, Washington. Paddock named the school in honor of Wright’s daughter, Annie.
安妮·赖特 Seminary opened its doors to 46 students from the Washington Territory, 俄勒冈州, 不列颠哥伦比亚省和夏威夷. 当时有十名教员. The first school catalog outlined the offerings of 安妮·赖特 Seminary: "For board, 装饰房间, 学习英语分支和拉丁语, 洗衣服务, 每年350美元."
第一任女校长回忆道, 学校开学时出席人数很少, 但生长迅速，很快就满溢了, so that we had to put cots at the ends of the halls 和 every other available space."
到20世纪初, it became apparent that the school building was becoming too small to meet dem和. A new location 和 building were desired to give the school its much needed space. Property was purchased on North Tacoma Avenue where the cornerstone of a new building was laid on June 9, 1924. Construction of the school was completed in time for the start of the 1924-25 school year 和 the doors opened to students September 18, 1924.
随着学生人数的增长和多样化, 教会在课程中的作用开始减弱. In 1947, Headmistress Ruth Jenkins worked with the Bishop to reform the school's religious curriculum with the belief that chapel attendance was for all faiths 和 forms of worship.
Beginning in the 1930s, 男孩 were allowed to enroll in the kindergarten classes only. 1949年地震破坏了附近的洛厄尔学校, concerned parents who had daughters at 安妮·赖特 besieged Headmistress Jenkins with urgent pleas to educate their young sons while the elementary school was under construction. An outbuilding was quickly erected on 安妮·赖特’s campus for the temporary schooling of 男孩 in the early elementary grades. The temporary school for 男孩 was called Charles Wright School. Parents looking for a permanent option for their sons later founded Charles Wright Academy in the Lakewood area (now University Place, Wa.) in 1957. 这两所学校彼此独立.
安妮·赖特 Seminary was renamed 安妮·赖特 School in the early 1970s when the coeducational structure was extended 通过 the upper elementary grades. 安妮·赖特’s middle school graduated its first group of 男孩 in 1990. The name changed again slightly to 安妮赖特学校 in 2011 to highlight the institution's distinct combination of both coed 和 single-gender programs.
安妮·赖特 launched a $10 million dollar remodel as it moved into the 21st century. Klarsch Hall was constructed in 2003, housing a new dining room 和 additional classrooms. Most of the original classrooms were remodeled 和 seismic improvements were made to the original structure. In 2012 a complete renovation of all dorm facilities was completed, 将1924年的建筑完全带入了21世纪.
In 2011 安妮·赖特’s first students earned the 国际学士学位 diploma. The 较低的 School adopted the Primary Years Programme in 2015, 和 the Middle School adopted the Middle Years Programme in 2017, making 安妮·赖特 one of fewer than 20 schools across the country to offer the continuum of IB programs.
的历史 从强大到强大 campaign raised significant resources to bolster the school's endowment 和 enhance athletic facilities. The school opened a new regulation-sized all-weather turf field in 2017 和 new gym 和 swimming pool in 2019.
2017年，安妮·赖特开设了男子高中, a new division based on the exceptional academic program of 安妮·赖特's Upper School for Girls but designed as a separate 和 unique experience. 该项目的新建筑于2019年开放.